Friday, July 31, 2009

BIRD SEED (A TWO-PART NARATIVE)


Part One – An Amazing Two Day Bird Count

I just have to talk about the birds that have frequented my yard and garden the last few days. The variety is astonishing since it’s mid-summer, usually a slow time of year for bird watching. In the hot summer I see the usual song sparrows, blue jays, doves etc.

But two days ago after watering, I took a break on the deck. We’ve had the air conditioner on in the house for two days so I wanted to hear outside sounds without the constant hum of that cooling beast. While listening I heard the Chickadees in the birch tree. Their two-tone bodies and two-tone call (Chick-a-dee dee dee dee dee) always make me want to mimic their call. Try it. It’s fun.!

A short time later we were looking through the binoculars to see if the splash of yellow in the pear tree was a ripe pear. Turns out it was a beautiful Western Tanager. Probably resting from feeding on the wild plums that are dropping over the lettuces! The Tanager is so yummy colored; like a pineapple/red-orange Popsicle. This is only the second I’ve seen in my yard.

Earlier the same morning in the same pear tree I had seen a Nuttal’s Woodpecker. They are like a Downy Woodpecker but have a zebra like back. Truly amazing to see him perpendicularly stalk the tree trunk searching for bugs.

Also in the pear tree was a very shy juvenile Blackheaded Grosbeak. The defining bright yellow and black distinctions are just now starting to break through the dun-colored baby down/feathers. They are so big and clumsy as youngsters. Kind of oversized looking with beaks too big for their bodies. And they are very wary of people.

Next day I heard the stern cries of two Towhee. Cheeeeeeeee Cheeeeeee. I’ve seen them lately. They seem to be darker than our usual Rufous Towhee. They were calling to their single offspring in the feeder. Towhees are traditionally ground feeders; the ones that kick up the dry leaves and scratch like chickens. So you know how disturbed the parents were to find Junior in the feeder taking the easy road.

Two beautifully marked Pine Siskin visited the feeder and bird bath. They are one of my favorites reminding me of Idaho pine forests and visits with Mom and Dad who first pointed them out to me.

And last but not least the orphan. For the past two days we’ve had a strange disheveled looking bird in the feeder. Nondescript really except in what he wasn’t or didn’t have. He doesn’t have a tail. At first I thought Wren, but no, I mean he really doesn’t seem to have a tail. And then there is the lumpy mass at the nape of his neck; sort of a hunchback feature that grew too far up. He appears to have eyebrow feather/hairs that give him the disheveled look as if he just woke up from a nap. He doesn’t really appear to be injured and is becoming very territorial about the feeder.

So sad really not to be identifiable. Not to have a family. No really, I can’t determine the family. Is it Trogladytidae (Wrens) or Embrerizidae (Sparrows)? We’ll just keep the seeds coming and call him the orphan Wren-Sparrow.

Stay tuned for part two.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just about going crazy waiting for part 2!

    Hello? You can't title your blog entry "a two-part narative" and then not post the second part!! Geeze!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright already, I'm nearly ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Lady...where's the post? Your "ready" is my "way-freakin'-late"!!!

    ReplyDelete